Friday, October 1, 2010

3 Days Left: Please. Please. Just One More Win

3 Days Left
3 games up in division, 1 game up in wild card
Other names for today's email:
"The Carlos Marmol Hour"
"Why Madison Bumgarner is hilarious"
Yesterday, the Giants clinched a tie for the division. Worst case scenario, they get swept by the Padres, the Braves pass them, and they play a one-game playoff Monday in San Diego for all the marbles, Tim Lincecum vs. Chris Young.
Oh, is that all? That's the "worse-case" scenario? Three straight days of excruciating losing, champagne sitting on ice in the clubhouse, taunting us, and then a horrifying torture-filled one-game playoff on the road against a fired-up Padres team coming off an amazing season-saving sweep? Oh, if that's the worst thing that can happen, then thank goodness. I thought something bad might still be possible.
But as Carlos Marmol finished off the 2-3-4 hitters in the Padre lineup in the 9th inning last night (he "Marmolized" them), I certainly had to admit that it is a lot better to be the Giants right now than to be the Padres. Yesterday, Madison Bumgarner was awesome. Much more awesome than when he was in AAA and he used to throw intentionally at hitters if they tried to bunt for a hit against them. "I had to tell him, 'how else are they supposed to get on base against you?'" his AAA manager said. "Don't take it so personal."
FULL CONFESSION: If that same story was about Mat Latos, I'd have spent 5 paragraphs ripping Latos. Fair enough.
Same with the story in today's Chronicle that Madison Bumgarner, upon being invited to stay at Jeremy Affeldt's house for a weekend, spent time lassoing furniture, and then asked Affeldt "to walk funny" so he could lasso his feet.
Wow.
I, uh.

Wow.
So it comes down to this. 3 games, and we need 1 win. If we don't get it, we get one more chance with Lincecum pitching Monday.
Tonight is Matt Cain. It's even Matt Cain's birthday. (He should be turning 26, but due to lack of run support, he's only turning 9). It's Orange Friday. The crowd is going to be insane.
But what if we lose?

Saturday afternoon, Zito pitches.
And if we lose that one...
Sunday it's Sanchez vs. Mat Latos.
Oy vay.
Meanwhile, the Rockies are now 8 games out with 3 to go, making them just 4-1 favorites to win the World Series.
Please, Giants.
Just one more win.
Just one.
And then three more.
And then four more.
And then four more.
No, stop. Bad Andy.
Just one more.
You're so close.
You're so awesome
(like this guy:)
You're so magic. Inside.
Time to bring it home.
Today's Poll Question
What are you doing tonight? Want to watch the game and tell me how it goes? I'll be under my couch.
A) I'm watching the game, but I can't text you updates because I lost my phone in a bet about how awesome Carlos Marmol is. I said "awesome", my friend said "more awesome than you think" and after 3 saves against the Padres in one week, I knew I had lost.
B) I have a date, sorry....with your wife, actually. She said she'd be free to hang out because you'd be under the couch. Hope you don't mind.
C) Why are you so scared? You're 3 up with 3 to go! Stop being such a weenie! Oh, right. I forgot;
D) Dang. I will be under my couch, too. I was hoping you would text ME updates. Want to switch off innings? I got dibs on "even."

No comments:

Post a Comment