Thursday, October 21, 2010

And now, we travel back in time to when the Giants sucked (cue funky music)

Giants 3, Phillies 1. Wait. That can't be right. Hold on. Really? And then they...wow. Wait, Cody who?
Before I begin to write this email, hyperventilating the entire time (how long until first pitch? that long? how about now?) a message from our sponsor:
STOP TALKING ABOUT THE FREAKING WORLD SERIES! ARE YOU CRAZY? WE STILL HAVE TO BEAT THE PHILLIES ONE MORE TIME AND THE CY YOUNG WINNER IS PITCHING TONIGHT FOLLOWED BY THE GUY WHO BEAT US LIKE 2 DAYS AGO FOLLOWED BY THE 2008 WORLD SERIES MVP. STOP. STOP. HAVE YOU STOPPED YET?
Ahem.
Last night was insane. Like high-fiving strangers insane. Like 40,000 people coming out a park chanting "UUUUUU-RIBE! UUUUU-RIBE!" insane. LIke I almost took out my wallet and paid $15 for a shirt that said "The Freak is my Homeboy" insane.
"Buster Posey makes me question my sexual orientation just a little bit," says the gchat status of one friend.
A little bit?
4 hits. Two doubles. An amazing play at the plate to save a run. Buster Posey doesn't make me question my sexual orientation. He makes me question why I bothered to live before he became a Giant. Life without Buster? What did that even look like? And speaking of which...
We flash back to May.
Buster Posey was in AAA, playing for the Fresno Grizzlies.
His teammate was Madison Bumgarner.
Pat Burrell was on his couch, eating chips, and calling up old girlfriends asking if they were still single.
Andres Torres was riding the bench.
Cody Ross was a Marlin, hoping to beat out the Mets for 3rd place in the NL East.
Brian Wilson didn't have a beard.
Mike Fontenot was hiding in the tree outside Hogwarts.
Javier Lopez was striking out fools....for the Pirates.
If you had gathered them in a room, (hey! why are you kidnapping me and putting me in this room? Who is the weird dude with the toothpick in his mouth? Your name is Madison? Isn't that a girl's name? Ow! Stop poking me!) and said:
"Ok, listen. You're all going to play for the Giants this year, you're all going to be amazing, and you're going to take a 3-1 lead on the Phillies in the NLCS."
How would they have reacted? Laughter? Advice on how to acquire anti-psychotics?
But here we are. And we're here thanks to Buster and his 4 hits. Thanks to Santiago Casilla and Sergio Romo for manning up after giving up runs and not letting the game slip away. Thanks to Juan Uribe for jacking a pitch 2 inches off the ground and 4 feet outside and hitting it 300 feet to left field. You are so weird, Uribe. I don't understand you. But I love you. And my favorite, thanks to Kung Fu Panda for finally getting his moment and once again becoming the "Round Mound of Pound." I don't think I've ever been as happy for a baseball player as I was for Pablo Sandoval when he stood out there on 2nd base after hitting his double. I'd say I've never been that happy for a millionaire but I don't think Pablo is a millionaire and even if he was, he undoubtedly already spent half his fortune on funnel cake.
Last night, before the bottom of the 9th, the scoreboard played a clip from the movie "Miracle". In the scene, the coach is addressing his players in the locker room.
"They are better," he said. "If we played them 10 times, they'd beat us 9 times. But not this time. Not tonight. Tonight is our night. You were born to play THIS game."
Freak. You are my homeboy. Bring us home.
Today's Poll Question
ADFL:SKDJFL:SKDJFL:KDJFL:KJD:FLKJL:!
A) I know! I know!
B) Breathe in....breathe out.....breathe in....
C) Is it 4:57 yet? How about now?
D) Still waiting for this ridiculous dream to end and for me to wake up and find out Giants finished 4th. Any minute now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment