Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Giants Are Champions of the World

2010 San Francisco Giants: WORLD CHAMPIONS
Marmol!!!!
How do you start writing this email? What begins it?
1989? 1993? 1997? 2000? 2001? 2002? 2003? 2004?
1962?
ESPN did a great job of correctly pointing out that this was not the first championship in 56 years for "The Giants". This was San Francisco's first world series championship EVER. The curse is over. The Rally Monkey is dead. The most incredible team of weirdos and creative peronalities and has-beens and bearded relievers has shocked everyone, including their own fans, and won the World Series.
I don't know if this makes sense to non-Giants fans, but I truly did not believe I would ever see the Giants win a world series. And I'm pretty young. So last night, when Brian Wilson struck out Nelson Cruz, an entire paradigm in my life shifted. Sports stopped being a source of pain that I stupidly kept turning to for entertainment and started being an inspirational source of excitement that has brought me closer to a lot of people in my life who fell in love with this team the way I did.
But this email will not be gushy. This email will be celebratory.
Ahem.
Unbelievable.
The season started with Tim Lincecum winning and Brian Wilson closing, and it ended that way.
We started the season by beating Roy Oswalt, and ended it by beating Cliff Lee.
At the half-way mark, we were 41-40. We finished 51-30, and then went 11-4 in the playoffs, incluing a 6-2 mark on the road.
We beat Cliff Lee twice, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt twice, Cole Hamels, Derek Lowe twice, Tim Hudson, and CJ Wilson. And Joe Blanton. WE BEAT JOE BLANTON.
I cannot write this email any better than by relaying the text messages I got last night, which began around the 7th inning:
"Dude, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I'm about to lose my mind."
"Oh."
"My."
"GOD!!!!!!" (Renteria)
"F$%^ Yeah! Sit down, Bengie!"
"I can't take this."
"3 more outs OMG"
"You could always watch Monday Night Football. Hey if they win will you root for the Bills this year....to win a game?!"
"MARMOL! CONGRATULATIONS!!"
"I will never forget this moment."
"Too much. Congrats, dude. Much love."
"Scott Speizi-who?"
"The hippies just (CENSORED) George Bush. This is a great day."
"Walking home - Irving St is shut down mobbed with people celebrating...I got sprayed with beer."
"What should we buy your great uncle Frank for Hannukah?"
Wait, that last one wasn't supposed to be in there.
Brian Wilson, interviewed after the game, said that he thought Renteria should be the series MVP. When told that he WAS the series MVP, Wilson responded "look at that, I'm an oracle."
You're an oracle. You're a (weird) prophet. You finished the division clinching win, the NLDS clinching win, the NLCS clinching win, and the World Series clinching win. I love you, Brian Wilson.
I can't write any more because I"m too jumbled and I have to go back to work since I'm taking tomorrow off to go to the parade.
I'll finish with one last text, sent by me.
My friend Julia, who is only 13, is probably the biggest Giants fan I know. Last night she texted me and said "my mom might let me go to the parade."
And I replied:
"I'm going to the parade. You're going to the parade. The Giants are champions of the world."
  San Francisco Giants Baseball Fans

No comments:

Post a Comment