Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Outfield. Schierholtz. Velez. Rowand. Done.

The responses to my interactive poll question are still coming in little by little, so we'll hold off on getting into that. First a quote from my friend Marcus.
"How much does it suck to be Dan Uggla? First, your name is 'Dan Uggla.' Then you get traded for Omar Infante."
Also he made 5 errors in the 2009 All-Star game. FIVE.
Hold on. Ok, 3. Apparently he made only 3 errors. But it felt like five.
Hold on. Apparently it was the 2008 All-Star game. This is why nobody pays me to do this. I'm not nearly as smart as these guys:

Baseball Tonight's Predictions: 2010 San Francisco Giants


Karl
Ravech
3rd in
NL West

Buster
Olney
3rd in
NL West

Tim
Kurkjian
3rd in
NL West

Bobby
Valentine
3rd in
NL West

Aaron
Boone
3rd in
NL West

Buck
Showalter
4th in
NL West
Anyway, I'm ready to discuss our outfield. Oh the possibilities....
Now THAT's an outfield.
LEFT FIELD:
Andy's World: Uhhhh, Cody Ross? Or Pat Burrell. Or Carl Crawford. It all depends on money.
Sabean's World: Mark DeRosa
Projected: DeRosa/Ross/Burrell
Burrell's World Series seems to have seriously reduced his stock value which is great. If I could go back in time, I would extend the world series another 3-7 games so Burrell could strike out another 26 times. How easy we forget he slugged over .500 for the year while Cody Ross was sucking it up nightly. But now Ross is ready to command big bucks because Roy Halladay is a cy-young winning goober who threw him two bad pitches while Burrell is being talked about as a trash-heap pickup.
Carl Crawford...how much are we talking about here? How long is he going to be fast? Thinkign about how much money it would take to get him hurts my head, but thinking about him hitting the ball into triples alley is pretty exciting. I'm doing it right now....ooooh, nice swing. Run and get that Andre Ethier! Run! Oh don't let Matt Kemp get the ball first. You're prettier, Andre. Hahahahaha. Sighhhh.
I like DeRosa. I like him so much I forgot about him when I did my infield predictions, which is why I don't get paid to do this, unlike these guys:

Baseball Tonight's Predictions: 2010 Los Angeles Dodgers


Karl
Ravech
4th in
NL West

Buster
Olney
2nd in
NL West

Tim
Kurkjian
1st in
NL West

Bobby
Valentine
3rd in
NL West

Aaron
Boone
2nd in
NL West

Buck
Showalter
1st in
NL West
Wow. Nice work, Karl Ravech!
DeRosa has a lifetime OPS of .760 which, for those of you not well-versed in baseball stats, means he is to baseball as General Franco was to dictators. There are better dictators. Much better. The guy in Rwanda isn't bad, as far as dictators go. His people love him. He won 99% of the vote in the last election. But there are also worse dictators. A few anyway. Eugenio Velez jumps to mind.
Poll Question: If Eugenio Velez was a dictator, what country would he rule?
Bonus Question: How silly would his Presidential Hat be?
DeRosa is a super sub, but I can see him getting a crack at the starting job unless our 3b/ss plans fall through in which case I see him playing one of those positions.
So I think we resign Ross, resign Burrell, don't even come close to getting Crawford, and probably have a different left fielder every night. Which is better, I guess, than having Barry Bonds at age 43. I hear he's available, actually.
Center Field
Sabean's World: Andres Torres
Andy's World: Andres Torres
Projected: Andres Torres
Thank God, too, because this email is already too long.
Right Field
Sabean's World: Cody Ross? DeRosa?
Andy's World: Jayson Werth or Brandon Belt
Projected: Cody Ross
Jayson Werth is...um....worth every penny. His nerd stats are off the charts. Plus 900 ops. Great VORP. Most pitches seen per atbat of any player in the bigs. Can we afford him? Probably not. But dont' tell me you'd rather have Carl Crawford and his career .780 ops and his non-immortal legs.
Now, assuming we can't get Werth, that means we have a few different options. We can play Ross. Some combo of Ross and Torres if Rowand is playing CF. Oh wow that sounds horrible. I got a better idea.
Hint. He's from Lufkin, TX.
And he's going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment