Thursday, January 6, 2011

BREAKING NEWS: Renteria to the Reds: Am I Supposed to Feel Something?

Edgar Renteria has reportedly signed a 1-year, $3 million deal with the Reds, who are from a city in Ohio that I can never spell correctly and I'm in too much of a hurry to use spell check. If I were cool, I would tell you he's going "To The Natti."

But I'm not. Going to do that.

I know I'm supposed to feel something in my soul about the man who hit the greatest homerun in Giants history signing with some podunk NL Central team the following year. I don't. I feel like he hit an amazing homerun and he spent two years sucking up payroll and playing baseball badly and bringing him back would have been more for cosmic karma than out of any modicum of common sense.

I mean, we already have approximately 36 players on our 25-man roster, and we don't need more. If I had my choice between Renteria and Fontenot....honestly? Fontenot. He can play 2nd base in the very, very likely eventuality that Freddy Sanchez and Mark DeRosa both end up in the clubhouse playing cards with bags of ice on various parts of their bodies.

So goodbye, Edgar. We paid you too much money and you hardly played. But we'll always have Arlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment