Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Outfield Updated, Or Jayson Werth and Carl Crawford, We Hardly Knew You

Burrell is back, and as I said, I like it.

I mean, this is a guy who slugged over .500, had a very respectable OBP, kept Aubrey Huff happy, and hit some clutch homeruns. All everyone talks about is that he struck out 48 times in the World Series, but:
a) That could happen to anyone.
b) It was FOUR games.

He's the opposite of Cody Ross who was terrible all season and then went nuts for about two weeks. But Ross is going to get very rich while apparently we're paying Burrell in hair gel and coupons for discounted speed dating events.

So what does this mean for our outfield?
It means it's very crowded despite how much ground there is to cover at At&t. It means we're not getting Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth. Which is fine, because we needed that money to pay Miguel Tejada.

Our Outfield
1. Andres Torres
2. Cody Ross
3. Aaron Rowand
4. Pat Burrell
5. Nate Schierholtz
6. Brandon Belt
7. Mark DeRosa

We can keep 6 of those guys because DeRosa can be a backup infielder. But somebody has to go.

Somebody....
Hmmm.....

What if we packaged Aaron Rowand and Runzler and offered to pay half of Rowand's salary to the Rays for....aw hell, for Jason Bartlett. Sure. Come on board. Two bad shortstops are the same as one good one, right? And maybe they'll throw in Longoria. Or some hair gel.

I'm looking at the outfielders I listed above, and I'm thinking, and I'm sorry that I'm thinking this, but this is what I am thinking:

We won the world series???

My fear is that the somebody who has to go will be Brandon Belt going to AAA. We could trade Schierholtz, but I'm not sure what we could get for him.
"No really! He plays great defense!"
Then again, the Pirates are always game for a good trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment